Skip to content ↓

Volunteering at school

We are delighted that you are interested in volunteering at St Cuthbert Mayne Catholic Primary School.  

Volunteer Requirements

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check

You will need an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. All information is treated in the strictest confidence. These checks are an Ofsted requirement in the best interests and safety of the children, and to comply with Safeguarding procedures.

Online Safeguarding Training

Read and complete a number of documents, and attend an online Safeguarding training session led by Anne Halliday, Xavier MAT Head of Safeguarding.

Resident Query

If you have not been resident in the UK for at least the previous 5 years, you may be asked to provide a certificate of good conduct from each country where you have resided for 12 months or more.

Volunteer Application Process

1. Please complete the Volunteer Application Form and return to

2. Complete the Online DBS Application.  You will need the following login details.

Organisation Reference: 9363475        

Organisation Code: bishop

3. When you have completed your online DBS application, please bring to the office the following three original and current ID documents:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • either - Marriage certificate (essential if you are married and have changed your name), Birth Certificate, Council Tax Statement (must be dated within 12 months), or bank statement (cannot be online printout and must be dated within 3 months).  Further information about what ID you can provide can be found below.

4. Your DBS Certificate will be posted to your home address.  Please bring it with you and show it to the office when you volunteer for the first time. 

5. Within 3 months of receiving your DBS certificate please register for the DBS Update Service which is free and less time-consuming than applying for a new DBS check.

6. Once you have completed the training you will be sent a Safeguarding declaration link to complete.

Once Volunteer application process completed

When in school as a volunteer you will be given a red visitor lanyard which you must wear at all time and return to the office after each volunteering session.

As long as you come in to school at least once per term, your DBS will remain valid.

If you need further help at any stage of the process, please do not hesitate to contact or call in to the office if you would prefer to speak to someone about your application.

Thank you very much for your support.

ID Document Rules

  • You must provide original documentation only; photocopies or documentation printed from the internet e.g. internet bank statements will not be accepted.
  • At least one document must confirm your current name - remember to also provide documentation to support any name changes e.g. Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate
  • At least one document must confirm your date of birth
  • At least one document must confirm your current address and documentation covering your previous five year address history may also be requested.

You must provide at least one of the following

  • Current valid passport (any nationality)
  • Current Photocard driving licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands/EEA) – full or provisional
  • UK Birth certificate (issued at time of birth)
  • Biometric Residence permit (UK)
  • Adoption Certificate (UK & Channel Islands)

You can provide 3 of these documents

Other forms of ID

Additional forms of ID include:

  • UK HM Forces ID Card
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
  • Immigration document, work permit or VISA (Issued outside of EEA) (Valid only for roles whereby applicant is living and working outside of UK.)
  • Fire Arms Licence (UK, Channel Islands & Isle of Man)
  • Credit Card Statement * (UK or EEA)
  • Bank/Building Society Statement * (UK, Channel Islands or EEA)
  • Utility Bill* (UK) Not Mobile Telephone
  • Bank/Building Society Statement * (Countries outside the EEA) (Branch must be in the country where the applicant lives and works).
  • Document from Central/ Local Government/ Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK)*: e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
  • Bank/Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)* #
  • Benefit Statement* - e.g. Child Benefit, Pension
  • Financial Statement ** - e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK) Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA)**
  • P45/P60 Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **
  • Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands)**
  • Irish Passport Card – cannot be used with an Irish passport (must still be valid)
  • EEA National ID Card (must still be valid)
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK, Isle of Man & Channel Islands) – Must still be valid
  • Letter of Sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-UK/Non-EEA only) – Valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application
  • For 16/19 year olds in full time education - Letter from a Head Teacher or College Principal (UK)  (Only to be used in exceptional circumstances when all other documents have been exhausted).

*   Denoted with * should be less than 3 months old
** Denoted with ** should be issued within the last 12 months