At St Cuthbert Mayne we help pupils to develop a love of language through the learning and teaching of French at Key Stage Two. We support pupils to express their ideas and to understand and respond both in speech and in writing.
We aim to:
- Enable each child to develop an interest in learning another language.
- Foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the word.
- Enable each child to express their ideas and thoughts confidently in another language.
- Provide opportunities for the children to communicate for practical purposes.
- Enable each child to understand and respond to speakers of another language both in speech and in writing.
- Enable the children to write for different purposes and audiences in another language.
A key aspect of teaching MFL is to develop and nurture a positive attitude to the learning of another language. To foster this attitude there is an emphasis on making lessons enjoyable through the use of fames, rhymes and sons. This is supported by the use of Salut! And interactive learning resource.
As children move through Key Stage Two they are taught the aims of the National Curriculum. There is a focus that the children:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understand ding by joining in and responding.
- Appreciate stories, songs poems and rhymes.
- Speak in sentences presenting information orally.
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- Write phrases from memory.
- Understand basic grammar such as feminine and masculine forms, plural and singular.
- Read key vocabulary and use a foreign language dictionary.
Children in Key Stage One and Key Stage Two have the opportunity to join the French Club which runs weekly: Tuesday for Key Stage One and Friday for Key Stage Two at lunchtime. Mme Williams teaches the children key vocabulary and the beginnings of conversational French using a variety of songs, games and activities and this proves to be a very popular club.
Modern Languages Curriculum Map - find out more about your child's learning in Languages throughout their time at St. Cuthbert Mayne.